Monday 19 December 2011

Barmaids mince pies

A true (but not often known) fact about me is that I used to work as a barmaid in Soho London. The streets of Soho have a bit of a reputation for *blushing* other things and while there was a lot of that about there was also the pub I used to work in, the (sadly not there any more) Moon & sixpence. I only worked there for a couple of months but during that time I learnt a lot. Working behind a bar also gave me the inspiration to add booze to my mincemeat when making mince pies. So without any further ado I present you with the receipe for Barmaids Mince pies! 

You will need
150g/5oz butter (cut into pieces)
225g/8oz plain flour
50g/2oz ground almonds (don't be tempted to skip these they absolutely make the pastry)
25g/1oz caster sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon of water
225g/8oz mincemeat
booze of your choice I've used sherry/brandy and rum sucessfuly in the past
a non stick 12 bun tin
*Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas mark 6. Rub the butter into the flour. Add the almonds, sugar, egg yolk & water and mix to form a firm dough.
*Knead briefly on a floured surface, then wrap and chill for 30 mins. Roll out thinkly and stamp out 12 rounds (about 7.5 cm/3 inch, I use a mug for this).
*Open your jar of mincemeat and pour a tabkespoon of your chosen booze in, mix thoroughly and put the lid back on till you need it.
*Once your pastry has rested use it to line the 12 bun tins. Spoon in the mincemeat and use the remaining pastry to cut into seasonal shapes such as holly or Christmas trees to place on top of the mincemeat (you can cheat and use cutters if you are pressed for time).
*Bake for 20 mins until golden brown and enjoy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...